Sr. Dorcas Baker, RSCDS Certificated
Instructor (Founder, deceased)
John McCormick, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Janice Lacock, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Rebecca Renee Winnie, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Terry Garner, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society (RSCDS) has a world-wide network of Branches and Affiliated Groups. The Society exists to promote and develop Scottish country dancing worldwide for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers is a social group that enjoys learning and dancing the traditional jigs, reels and strathspeys of Scotland. We host a Hallowe'en Social Dance as well as several dance parties throughout the year. In addition, we occasionally perform at weddings, dinners and folk festivals.
Classes are open to anyone interested in Scottish Country Dance. Beginners are welcome to watch and to dance. It is not necessary to have a partner to participate. You don't have to be Scottish!
For information regarding classes or regarding potential demonstrations and performances, please contact us at SCD.MKE@gmail.com,
For general information regarding the Hales Corners class or the Mequon MT-Rec class, please contact Terry at SCD.MKE@gmail.com.
For information regarding potential demonstrations and performances or the class near UWM, please contact Rebecca at MkeSCD.RRW@gmail.com
For the Governance and Board of Directors of the Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers, please look HERE.
It is that time of year! You (or friends of yours) decided that you would try something new in 2024! Why not enjoy the FUN, FITNESS, and FRIENDSHIP of Scottish Country Dance? There are TWO new classes starting up in the coming weeks! Share the news!
The first option is on Wednesday evenings in Mequon beginning January 17th! This is a course that has been taught (since pre-pandemic times) through the Mequon-Thiensville Recreation Department. It does require REGISTRATION for the class to run, so sign up HERE. Terry is the teacher for this M-TRec course and you could not ask for a more encouraging and patient teacher! Questions can be emailed to Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell your friends! More information on the M-TRec course in this advertisement photo.
The second option will be a BRAND NEW class near the UWM Campus (Zao Church across the street from the Union) on Thursday evenings beginning February 1st and running through May 9th (with no classes on March 21st or 28th) at 7 to 8:30 p.m.. The focus of this class will be to teach with the energy and pacing appropriate to young adults (RSCDS considers youth those 35 and under) though all adults are most certainly welcome! This new course has the advantage of being directly adjacent to the UWM campus and on many bus lines! Parking is available on the street, in the Union parking lot, or at the Zelazo Center parking lot. Class cost are solely for the facility rental and will be pay-what-you-can at each class (suggested $3-5 cash). Please share this information with anyone you know who might be interested! Questions can be emailed to Rebecca at email@example.com. More information can be found HERE.. Since this is a new class without the reach of the advertising of a recreation department, please help us get the word out!
Finally, and of course!, the third option is to join our regular Monday evening classes in Hales Corners, where beginners are always welcome!
NOTE: Although all of the classes are designed for adults, teens age 14-17 are welcome in our classes if accompanied by a parent or guardian. We have found that families have indeed enjoyed dancing together!
Want to know a little more about Scottish Country Dance? Here is a video produced by the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society that gives you a taste! Still, it is so much more fun to DO it than to watch it!
"Dance Scottish" with the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
If you want to be added to our group mailing list, please contact us at: SCD.MKE@gmail.com.
Our promotional flyer is available HERE.
Classes will be at Journeys Lutheran School each Monday from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Please check HERE for the schedule.
Regarding COVID and other contagious viruses: The Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers asks dancers to agree to these precautions and thanks you for your kind care of one another through the pandemic and as we look ahead.
Dancers agree to:
1. Stay home if not feeling well.
2. Get tested if experiencing any COVID symptoms and contact us if you have a positive result. The Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers will notify dancers if they've been exposed, however, individuals will not be identified.
3. After a positive COVID test, follow the CDC guidelines for safely returning to class.
4. Dancers are welcome to wear masks, but masks are not required to dance.
We look forward to dancing with you again!
Journeys Lutheran School
5425 S 111th Street
Hales Corners, WI
Enter school parking lot from 112th AND COPELAND St. -- near the proper entrance it will say “Lutheran School".
To help defray the costs of hall rental, please consider a donation of $5 each class.
Class Dates and Locations
How we structure our classes:
We initiate classes with warm ups and stretches, followed by a short focus session to improve technique. The class then divides temporarily, with newer dancers (along with a couple experienced dancers for support) learning/reviewing/improving formations whilst the more experienced dancers further develop their dancing skills as they learn/review/improve challenging formations and dances, or learn dances for upcoming events. The groups then recombine to dance one or two dances which utilize the formations previously focused on by the newer dancers. If time allows the experienced dancers then learn another challenging dance, giving the newer dancers the opportunity to observe.
Upcoming Midwest Scottish Country Dances
(events and assorted workshops)
44th Annual Ball Weekend
March 22-24, 2024
Grand Ball 2024
April 13, 2024
33rd Annual Ball
May 4, 2024
RSCDS Central Iowa Branch
Great Lakes Ball
May 4, 2024
Midwest Scottish Weekend
June 7-9, 2024
T. A. C. Summer School
July 28 - August 4, 2024
St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada
April 26, 2025
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers on YouTube which includes these videos and more!
Culla Bay February 16, 2019
Bees of Maggieknockater February 15, 2020
Foxhill Court February 15, 2020
Karen's Wedding February 15, 2020
Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel February 15, 2020
Machine Without Horses February 15, 2020
The Scallywag February 27, 2023
2023 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2022 Hallowe'en Dance photos and videos
More 2022 Hallowe'en photos
2022 Milwaukee Summer's End photos
2022 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2021 Hallowe'en Dance photos
2019 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2017 Hallowe'en Dance
Nancy McClements' photos
2015 Hallowe'en Dance
James and Heidi Horton's photos
You can order Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers merchandise! Please look HERE for our online store.
Scottish Country Dance Groups
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
- Detroit RSCDS Branch, Detroit, Michigan
- Highland Mist Scottish Country Dancers, St. Louis, Missouri
- Madison Scottish Country Dancers, Madison, Wisconsin
- Midwest Scottish Weekend
- RSCDS Chicago Branch, Chicago, Illinois
- RSCDS Twin Cities Branch, Minneapolis - St. Paul, Minnesota
- Scottish Country Dancers of Central Iowa, Ames, Iowa
- Tartan & Thistle Scottish Country Dancers, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Windsor Branch of the RSCDS, Windsor, Ontario
Resources for Dancers
- Hints and Tips for Briefing Scottish Country Dances
- RSCDS Videos
- Scottish Country Dance Resource Pages
- Scottish Country Dancing Dictionary
- Shoes, Dances, Music An assortment of links, addresses and phone numbers.
- RSCDS Safer Spaces
- RSCDS Guide to Scottish Country Dance Etiquette
- Standard Etiquette for Scottish Country Dancing Thanks to the Madison Scottish Country Dancers for this link.
- Teachers' Association of Canada An association of teachers of Scottish Country Dancing.
- The Inter-city Scot A newsletter of Scottish Country Dance groups and events in North America.
- The Strathspey Server A repository of information relating to Scottish country dancing.
- Center for Celtic Studies at UW-Milwaukee
- Council of Scottish Clans and Associations
- Irish Cultural and Heritage Center
- Milwaukee Blue (essential links, compactly organized)
- Milwaukee Highland Games
- Robert Burns Club of Milwaukee
- Saint Andrew's Society of the City of Milwaukee
- Shamrock Club of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Scottish Inc.
Last modified February 13, 2024 PG