Sr. Dorcas Baker, RSCDS Certificated
Instructor (Founder, deceased)
John McCormick, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Janice Lacock, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Rebecca Renee Winnie, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
Terry Garner, RSCDS Certificated Instructor
The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society (RSCDS) has a world-wide network of Branches and Affiliated Groups. The Society exists to promote and develop Scottish country dancing worldwide for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers is a social group that enjoys learning and dancing the traditional jigs, reels and strathspeys of Scotland. We host a Hallowe'en Social Dance as well as several dance parties throughout the year. In addition, we occasionally perform at weddings, dinners and folk festivals.
Classes are open to anyone interested in Scottish Country Dance. Beginners are welcome to watch and to dance. It is not necessary to have a partner to participate. You don't have to be Scottish!
For the Governance and Board of Directors of the Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers, please look HERE.
For information regarding classes or regarding potential demonstrations and performances, please contact us at SCD.MKE@gmail.com,
We are having a dance party Monday evening, December 18, 2023. Look HERE for more information.
If you want to be added to our group mailing list, please contact us at SCD.MKE@gmail.com.
Our promotional flyer is available HERE.
Classes will be at Journeys Lutheran School each Monday from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Please check HERE for the schedule.
In recognition of the COVID pandemic, Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers would like to continue to ask dancers to agree to these precautions. Thank you for your kind care of one another through the pandemic and as we look ahead.
Dancers agree to:
1. Stay home if not feeling well.
2. Get tested if experiencing any COVID symptoms and contact us if you have a positive result. Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers will notify dancers if they've been exposed, however, individuals will not be identified.
3. After a positive COVID test, Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers are following the CDC guidelines for safely returning to class:
You should isolate for 5 days following the first day of symptoms or positive test (whichever came first). Provided you have no symptoms after that, you need to wear a mask in public for the next 5 days but can return to dancing. If you continue to have symptoms, you should wait to return until after day ten or when your symptoms are improving and you have been fever free for at least 24 hours (whichever comes later). You must wear a mask through day 10 at least.
4. Dancers are welcome to wear masks, but masks are not required to dance.
We look forward to dancing with you again!
Journeys Lutheran School
5425 S 111th Street
Hales Corners, WI
Enter school parking lot from 112th AND COPELAND St. -- near the proper entrance it will say “Lutheran School".
To help defray the costs of hall rental, please consider a donation of $5 each class.
Class Dates and Locations
How we structure our classes:
We initiate classes with warm ups and stretches, followed by a short focus session to improve technique. The class then divides temporarily, with newer dancers (along with a couple experienced dancers for support) learning/reviewing/improving formations whilst the more experienced dancers further develop their dancing skills as they learn/review/improve challenging formations and dances, or learn dances for upcoming events. The groups then recombine to dance one or two dances which utilize the formations previously focused on by the newer dancers. If time allows the experienced dancers then learn another challenging dance, giving the newer dancers the opportunity to observe.
Upcoming Midwest Scottish Country Dances
(events and assorted workshops)
Winter Dance Party
December 2, 2023
Failte Ball 2023
December 2, 2023
St. Paul, Minnesota
December Dance Party
Monday, December 18, 2023
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
RSCDS Chicago New Year's Ball
January 13, 2024
St. Charles, Illinois
44th Annual Ball Weekend
March 22-24, 2024
Midwest Scottish Weekend
June 7-9, 2024
T. A. C. Summer School
July 28 - August 4, 2024
St. Catherines, Ontario
Culla Bay February 16, 2019
Bees of Maggieknockater February 15, 2020
Foxhill Court February 15, 2020
Karen's Wedding February 15, 2020
Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel February 15, 2020
Machine Without Horses February 15, 2020
The Scallywag February 27, 2023
"Dance Scottish" with the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
2023 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2022 Hallowe'en Dance photos and videos
More 2022 Hallowe'en photos
2022 Milwaukee Summer's End photos
2022 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2021 Hallowe'en Dance photos
2019 Midwest Scottish Weekend photos
2017 Hallowe'en Dance
Nancy McClements' photos
2015 Hallowe'en Dance
James and Heidi Horton's photos
You can order Milwaukee Scottish Country Dancers merchandise! Please look HERE for our online store.
Scottish Country Dance Groups
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
- Detroit RSCDS Branch, Detroit, Michigan
- Highland Mist Scottish Country Dancers, St. Louis, Missouri
- Madison Scottish Country Dancers, Madison, Wisconsin
- Midwest Scottish Weekend
- RSCDS Chicago Branch, Chicago, Illinois
- RSCDS Twin Cities Branch, Minneapolis - St. Paul, Minnesota
- Scottish Country Dancers of Central Iowa, Ames, Iowa
- Tartan & Thistle Scottish Country Dancers, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Windsor Branch of the RSCDS, Windsor, Ontario
Resources for Dancers
- Hints and Tips for Briefing Scottish Country Dances
- RSCDS Videos
- Scottish Country Dance Resource Pages
- Scottish Country Dancing Dictionary
- Shoes, Dances, Music An assortment of links, addresses and phone numbers.
- RSCDS Safer Spaces
- RSCDS Guide to Scottish Country Dance Etiquette
- Standard Etiquette for Scottish Country Dancing Thanks to the Madison Scottish Country Dancers for this link.
- Teachers' Association of Canada An association of teachers of Scottish Country Dancing.
- The Inter-city Scot A newsletter of Scottish Country Dance groups and events in North America.
- The Strathspey Server A repository of information relating to Scottish country dancing.
- Center for Celtic Studies at UW-Milwaukee
- Council of Scottish Clans and Associations
- Irish Cultural and Heritage Center
- Milwaukee Blue (essential links, compactly organized)
- Milwaukee Highland Games
- Robert Burns Club of Milwaukee
- Saint Andrew's Society of the City of Milwaukee
- Shamrock Club of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Scottish Inc.
Last modified November 20, 2023 PG